Friday, April 4, 2008

Another Thing to Fall by Laura Lippman

In Another Thing to Fall, Tess Monaghan, private detective, is hired as security for a temperamental actress on the set of a new television series being filmed in Baltimore. Some strange things have been happening on the set of Mann of Steal and everyone wants to make sure nothing happens to Selene, the “draw” for the series. When one of the members of the crew is found dead and the mishaps continue, Tess does some of her own investigating to uncover the truth.

In the latest instalment of the Tess Monaghan series, Lippman delivers a fast paced, well-written mystery. It’s humorous despite the deaths and quite the page-turner. I didn’t want to put it down. In this story, she offers a fascinating behind the scenes look at the making of a television show. Since I watch way too much TV, I really liked getting the inside scoop on things. I also liked that Lippman wrote parts of the story from points of view other than the main character.

Lippman’s characters are varied, interesting and fun to read about. I think Tess is a great character, but I also liked Johnny Tampa, Flip and Selene. It’s not everyday you run across a character named “Marie”, and while she wasn’t someone I was particularly drawn to, I loved her name. ;)

I have read a couple of other books by Laura Lippman. The Sugar House also from this series, is quite good. What the Dead Know, a non-series book, is excellent. I’d recommend both. There are many more books in this series. I hope to read at more of them.

Recommended. I look forward to reading more of Lippman’s work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!