Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Little Road Trip Handbook by Erin McHugh

The Little Road Trip Handbook is a guide book for road travellers. From planning the trip, getting the car in order, picking your travelling companions, picking the music to enhance your travelling pleasure, and many other pieces of advice and information, Erin McHugh includes the things you'll need to know before hitting the open road and things you can do once you get there.

This is a must read (not to mention a must-keep-handy) guide book for all road trippers. It covers information you probably didn't think of, but wish you had once you're in the middle of nowhere. This isn't the type of book you read then set aside or lose in the clutter or lend to a friend. You'll need this book to plan your next adventure and the one after that and the one...you get the idea.

It's nicely laid out with cool photos and tons and tons of information. The pre-trip checklist is invaluable. Know how to use jumper cables? We didn't. Even though we have two sets of jumper cables, neither of us (me or my husband) knew how they worked. Now we do. Other stuff, like the attractions and weird state/local laws will both come in handy for road trips through the US. Some of the laws are laugh-out-loud funny.

When I first took a look at the road games, I thought that they were a little silly and perhaps for a younger crowd, but then I thought "Hey, if you can't be silly on a road trip, when can you be silly?" We will definitely be giving these a try.


I love maps, therefore, I was enamoured with both the "Classic Road Trip" and "Bonus Road Trip" maps. We were in Northern Alberta last year just east of the the Alaska Highway and decided right then and there that the next trip we take in that direction would be all the way to Alaska. Now I have a guide to get us there. At about 4200 kilometres, I better start planning now.

This book will definitely find a spot in the glove compartment or seat pocket on our next trip. Until then, I'll keep it close by for planning purposes.

As I said before, this is one book you'll want to keep around. It would really make a great gift. Father's Day is around the corner. Doesn't Aunt Betsy have a birthday coming up? Hmmm...better get a couple of extra copies. ;)

Highly recommended. Even though most of the information is American, Canadians can use lots of the information for trips in Canada. And don't forget about those cross border trips. I know we try to go a few times a year.

For more information about this book, please visit the Sterling Publishing website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!