Thursday, June 26, 2014

Tangled Thursday - String 109

Tangled Thursday is a new occasional post on this blog. Heather at Books and Quilts is hosting these challenges in which we share our latest Zentangle inspired creations.

This week Elaine suggested we base our creations on String 109 from Tanglepatterns.com. This week, I had time to create two tiles. 
Tangles: Knight's Bridge, Warped Eggs, Paizel, Framz, Emingle, Zinger, Pippin

Tangles: W2, Hollibaugh, Bead Lines, Panthe, Ahh, Mr. E

As you can see for the first one, I ignored the border and run into some "interesting" challenges, which resulted in some "interesting" shapes.  ;)   For the second one,  I can see that I missed a few shading opportunities and part of a line.  The shading isn't that great, but until I added it I was thinking of trashing the tile altogether.   It's just meh. 

I guess it's my turn to suggest the challenge.   How about we work with some negative space?  That is, you draw a shape and tangle around it so that the shape in the end is white (or whatever colour paper you are working with) and the "background" is patterned.   I've been wanting to do this challenge since one of the other artists (Tami, I think) did one a number of weeks/months back.  Since it's summer and everyone is probably a little busy, I'm thinking we wait for July 10 for this one. 

Be sure to check out the other creations using String 109 on Books and Quilts.   If you'd like to join us, please do so by linking your post to the Mr. Linky on Heather's post.  

3 comments:

  1. Both are beautiful work, but I like the way the string gets "lost" in the first one. I also spy some patterns I haven't tried and will be shamelessly steal.

    Love the next challenge idea - and totally agree that we need more than a week to ponder the possibilities. I'm going to go back through my blog posts and find what I did with negative space before - seems familiar, but I'm drawing a blank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also prefer the first tile. It is the contrast of the square based tangles combines with the very curvy ones that I find attractive. Well done. Thanks for linking up with Tangled Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie - I hope you are doing ok with the flood!! Very concerned for you!!

    I too prefer the first one :) but they are both cool. Negative space is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!