Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Needlework Tuesday - Baby Blanket and More

Needlework Tuesday is an occasional post detailing my needlework and/or crafting projects.


Even though I spent a lot of time knitting this week, I don't have much to show. I spent all of my knitting time on the baby blanket that I showed the start of last week. Here's what it looks like now:


It's actually easier to knit that I first thought it would be, but I still need to keep the pattern nearby. Because I'm left-handed, the direction of the knitting is slanted the other way (from the photo provided with the kit) and when the pattern says "right corner triangle", I'm actually knitting the "left corner triangle". If I just remember that when I'm reading the pattern and trying to figure out what to do next, I think I'll get through it okay.

This entrelac knitting is kind of fun to do, even though I still don't love picking up stitches or turning my work every 12 stitches or so. Also, the "look" of it is sort of growing on me. I'm still not wild about the variegated pastel yarn, but I'm determined to keep at it for now.  

A new project from the Mary Maxim's Knit Club of the Month showed up last week. It's for a slouchy hat (which can be worn turned up like a regular toque) made from sock yarn. The vibrant colours are much more my style. Apparently, the kit contains enough yarn to make two hats (I'll write more about that when I start the project) and a pair of fingerless mitts. I'm just hoping it knits up like it shows in the photo...in some kind of pattern rather than random variegation. I don't know when I'll start this one, but I'll post more about it when I do.



One last thing...I found some cool colouring books at Costco. They are from Color Me Your Way. I haven't started any of them yet, but I might do this over Christmas instead of knitting. Not sure yet. Anyway, there's lots to love about these: approx. 11"x16.5" (huge compared to others I've seen), spiral bound (they lie flat when colouring), heavy paper (less likely to bleed through), single sided (so you can pull them out for displaying or framing). I like most of the designs, but there are a few that don't really appeal to me. I might use those for trying out different mediums.
 


This coming week I'm going to continue to work on the baby blanket.

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts.    If you'd done any crafting this week that you'd like to share with others, please head over to Heather's blog and use the Mr. Linky to link up your post, so others can enjoy your creations.  

3 comments:

  1. the blanket is looking good. i haven't tried that stitch yet. Did have a mini lesson on it last spring and was assured that it is straight forward once I get going. didn't know you are left handed. So am I but I knit right handed. I don't tell that to any of the left handed people that I've taught to knit until afterward.

    I think that the yarn for your next project has long runs of colour so that it will give a more stripy effect as opposed to the one you are using now which has shorter runs of colour.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have knit socks, with yarn like that. It stripes in a very nice way. I am sure you will be pleased with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Love the blanket, the colors are very pretty.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!