Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Needlework Tuesday - Knitting and wildlife

Needlework Tuesday is an occasional post detailing my needlework and/or crafting projects.

Even though we've had some beautiful weather here in southern Manitoba, I'm still managing to find time to knit. Of course, yard work is suffering a little, but it's slowly getting done, too.

This week I worked on two projects.

The first one was the June project from the Mary Maxim's Knit Club of the Month, which was a summer tank top. It turned out okish, but I don't love it. Originally, it was longer by about 3 or 4 inches. After sewing it together the first time, the arm holes hung down almost to my waist. Nope, that wasn't going to do at all. So, I undid the shoulder seams, ripped back a number of rows, and re-sewed them. The arm holes are still big and it's still too long and a bit bell-bottom-y (not a word), but I like that it mostly lines up in the front with the tank top I'm wearing underneath.  Perhaps a small would have been better than a medium.  Not terribly flattering, but I'm done with this project.  Here's what it looks like on:


There appears to be one odd row in the back, but I think the yarn just got hooked on something and pulled the wrong way.   I couldn't find it after I took it off.  Also, please ignore my uneven suntan and flabby arms.  Uggg....  No really, scroll down now.  Way down.  Seriously, you can't even tell that I workout 5 days a week.  Sheesh.

I also managed to get quite a jump on another shawl. This one is Waiting for Rain on ravelry.com. I love the look of it in the photos, however, mine doesn't quite look like that. As it is, it doesn't look like it's going to lay flat even after it's off the needles.  I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but who knows. I did read to the end of the pattern and it says to "block aggressively", so I'm hoping that'll help. Now, I just have to read up on proper blocking. Here's a shot of the whole thing so far:


I'm loving the colour of this one because it sort of reminds me of grass gradually going dormant because it's "waiting for rain".

The short rows lacy pattern sections were quite hard to do at first. I really had to concentrate to get them right. I'm finding them a bit easier now, but I still can't pay attention to the TV or talk to anyone while I'm counting.  On the other hand, the garter stitch sections are so satisfying and a nice break. Here's a close up of the lacy section:


On a side note, we had a few visitors to the yard this week.  This guy is a big help in picking up the bird seed that falls to the ground. He's been showing up around 8pm every evening and sometimes invites three friends to aid in the cleanup.   When I'm in an ornery mood or in the need of a good laugh, I bang on the window to see how fast they can climb a tree.  It keeps them on their toes.  Sorry for the poor photo quality.


The other sighting this week was a Momma White-tailed deer and her fawn. One of the smallest fawns I've been seen....not even knee high, but cute as a button. No photos because I didn't want to bother them. However, I could show you the damage she (or both of them) did in my garden. Hollyhocks...gone. Honeysuckle...trimmed back.  Daylilies...well, I don't really care about them, but still.  Luckily, I had sprayed the hostas with deer-be-gone or they'd be gone as well.  

This week I'm going to continue to work on the shawl while keeping one eye on my garden.   

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts.    If you'd done any crafting this week that you'd like to share with others, please head over to Heather's blog and use the Mr. Linky to link up your post, so others can enjoy your creations.  

3 comments:

  1. Love the masked bandit in your yard. I my yard, we have chipmunks to clean up the birdseed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the top looks nice over the tank top. Perhaps a smaller size would have worked.
    Love the colour of the shawl. Wow. I had to peek at the pattern link and it's going to be a stunner.

    I didn't know there was a product - deer be gone. We get rabbits in our yard and they nibble away at the dandilion flowers but never enough. Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie,
    Love the tank top, it's beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my place. Appreciate the condolences on my hubby passing. Hoping to get back into the swing of things soon. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!