Friday, December 28, 2007

Precious Blood by Jonathan Hayes

In Precious Blood, Edward Jenner, a former Medical Examiner, is asked to look into the killing of a young student. She is found hanging on a wall in her apartment. As soon as Jenner sees the body, he strongly suspects a serial killer is on the loose. Before he and the police can solve this one though, more gruesome discoveries are uncovered. They soon have a theory as to his motive and method for selecting his victims, but they must acts fast before he strikes out again. Jenner is particularly moved to action after he becomes involved with a potential victim.

Jonathan Hayes presents an interesting, fast-pace page-turner that’s definitely not for the faint of heart. The graphic details he provides about the deaths of these women might be a tad much for some readers. He takes a few funny digs at CSI the TV show. Fans will appreciate these, but the reference will likely be lost on non-viewers. There are just a few, so they won’t be missing much. The storyline is easy to follow, but parts of it were a little predictable. The characters are likeable and interesting.

I noticed a few disconnects/inconsistencies in the story. It could have been that I wasn’t paying close enough attention, but I thought I noticed a few things that didn’t quite add up. If it wasn't just me, hopefully the editors will catch these before the book is officially released.

Overall, it’s a pretty good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!