Friday, July 4, 2008

Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger

In Chasing Harry Winston, Emmy, Leigh and Adriana are good friends, but are very different from each other. Emmy, is the marrying type, but has recently been dumped by her long time boyfriend. Leigh has a great job and wants to find the man of her dreams. Is her current beau the right one? Adriana is the rich, shallow girl living off her parents’ money. She’s not looking for Mr. Right…she’s looking for Mr. Rightnow. Emmy and Adriana challenge each other to make major changes in their lives and give each other a year to do so. Meanwhile, Leigh looks on not expecting much to happen for her. The women are in store for some changes, but it’s not what they expect.

This is a wonderful and fun summer read. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Once I picked it up I really didn’t want to put it down. I couldn’t wait to see how it would end. Even though some of the situations the women faced were distressing or upsetting, the story was presented in an upbeat and light manner. At some point in the story, I felt a connection with each of the women, but I think I identified most with Leigh. She was somewhat emotionally aloof, but cared for her friends and family. Her actions, thoughts and words didn’t match up with each other in that she was thinking one thing, but doing another. She was confused about her life but didn’t show that side of herself to the Emmy and Adriana who were busy making changes in their own lives. I loved her “No Human Contact” Monday nights. [I wonder if my family would go for that? Hmmm…]

The ending was good, but a little disappointing. I won’t give anything away, but it felt a little flat. I would have liked more fanfare. Other than that, the book was great way to spend a summer day.

I haven’t read anything else by Weisberger, but I’ve been meaning to read The Devil Wears Proda. In fact, I already a copy. I guess it’s time to dig it out of the to-be-read pile.

Recommended as a nice fluffy summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!