Sunday, January 25, 2009

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

In Coraline, Coraline is bored. When she can't find anything else to do, she starts exploring her flat and discovers a large locked door. Despite being warned not to go through the door and being told that she's in grave danger she finds a way to open the door and enters a parallel world.

Gaiman has created a fantastic story with some great characters. I loved it. It drew me in immediately and I wanted to keep reading. I couldn't wait to see where Coraline's adventure was going to take her. The story was scary, weird and outrageous , but at the same time it was wonderful. It's probably a little too dark and scary for smaller children, but older ones will probably love it. It's hard to imagine how Gaiman could have come up with such a world. It's amazing.

I just adored Coraline. Through her actions, she shows she's brave, intelligent, determined and ready to take on tough challenges. She had a great sense of adventure, despite being very scared. She also appeared to be fearless when facing up to the characters in the other world. I'd like to be a little more like her.

While I probably won't go see the movie, I'd be very interested in seeing how a few sections of the story will be depicted on the screen, particularly near the end where the other world becomes distorted and the colour drains away. I love stuff like that.

I read this through HarperCollins Browse Inside feature when the whole book was available for browsing. Despite having a few reservations about reading a book online, I had no trouble at all. I read a few chapters at a time and really took my time. It was very easy to read and I had a great time with it.

I liked that Gaiman remind us to take nothing for granted; to appreciate what we have; and to be careful of what we wish for. All good advice.

Thanks to Coraline's neighbours, who insisted on calling her Caroline, I've had the song, Caroline by Harry Chapin stuck in head for days. Not that Coraline all at resembles Caroline...it's all in the name.

This is the first book of Gaiman's that I've read. It won't be the last.
Recommended.

Want to learn more about the book or perhaps peek inside? Synopsis and Browse Inside.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Coraline, I think it's one of the creepiest kids books I've ever read and I loved that. :) And Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite authors, I'm a huge fan.

    Laina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!