Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

The Luxe is an excellent young adult novel filled with prestige, intrigue, romantic triangles, backstabbing and so much more. Godbersen provides the reader with a total escape. It’s another time, another place and another world.

Set at the end of the 19th century, the story centres around five young adults. There’s Elizabeth Holland and her sister, Diana; Penelope, Elizabeth’s best friend; Henry, the wealthy and handsome playboy, and Will, the coachman for the Hollands. The prologue opens with Elizabeth’s funeral. From there, the reader is transported back to find out what happened to poor Elizabeth. Did she jump into the river herself or did she have help? Suspects and clues abound as the story unfolds.

I loved this book. It is well written and kept me interested all the way through. While I’m sure the author provided plenty of clues as to what happened, I didn’t catch on until the very end. Not only did I want to find out what happened to Elizabeth, but I also wanted to find out how that beautiful dress on the cover fit into the story. And speaking of the dress, it’s gorgeous. I love it.

I found the whole high-class lifestyle quite enthralling. Waiting for visitors, marrying for status/money, attending balls in gorgeous gowns, having secret lovers…I’d have to give up my sneakers, but where do I sign up?

I’m probably in the minority when I say that the book doesn’t really need a sequel. Sure the story could go on, but that could be said of a lot of books. That’s not to say, I won’t read the next one; I’m sure I will. However, I’d also be happy if the author simply left it at that.

Highly recommended for teens and adults.

2 comments:

  1. I finished reading this book last week and mostly agree with your comments. I kinda suspected how Elizabeth would deal with the situation but never thought that Penelope would be involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The author really surprised me. I'm looking forward to reading the other books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!