Friday, April 4, 2008

Twelve Months of Knitting by Joanne Yordanou













In Twelve Months of Knitting, Joanne Yordanou has designed a variety of projects to keep knitters busy throughout the year. From skimpy bikinis and complicated cabled sweaters and cardigans to a delicate mohair bookmark and a felted carryall, the patterns she’s included in this book are gorgeous, fashionable and up-to-date.

I was absolutely enamored with the patterns in this book. Joanne’s passion for knitting and designing are evident. Each pattern is a gem and I can see myself making each and every one. In addition to the patterns, she includes a lot of little extras that make this book special. I especially like the chart at the beginning of the book that allows the knitter to plan and then make the projects at the appropriate time of year. It’s based on average knitting times, so it may vary from knitter to knitter, but it’s an interesting idea. She also offers plenty of relevant tips covering topics like increasing, blocking, circular needles, double-pointed needles and so much more. I learned a lot just from reading these.

I was so excited by these patterns I couldn’t wait to get started. Since I adore ribbing, I knew I had to start with the Ski Lodge Scoop Vest and matching Ski Lodge Bag. [These would be for my inner ski-bunny, since I don’t ski.] The suggested wool, Manos del Uruguay, isn’t available in my area (yet), so I used Aran, which according to another chart at the back of the book is of similar weight. I’m so pleased with the results. I much prefer the wonderful red color of the items in the book, but I love the style so much, I’d be happy with any color. I’ll definitely be making another scoop vest for next winter. The bag, by the way, makes a perfect place to store the vest during the summer months.

Despite my two knitting handicaps (I’m self taught and left-handed), I easily followed the patterns provided and only had to look up one technique on the Internet. All in all, making the items were very positive experiences.

Having said all that, I do have a couple of complaints regarding mistakes in the book. In one of the patterns, the material list is missing a needle requirement. On the vest I made the blocking diagram has the wrong measurements. Finally, one pattern lists a circular needle in the requirements; however, the pattern doesn’t seem to use one. These are little things, I know, but could leave some knitters disappointed.

My only other problem is deciding what to make next. Perhaps the Boat Launch Cables (cross-over sweater vest made from bamboo yarn) or the cottage socks or perhaps even the Adirondack Lap Blanket. I can’t wait to start my next project and knitting adventure.

Highly recommended for knitters of every skill level.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I'm trying to decide if I should make the vest. Yours looks lovely.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. And thanks for reminding about this book. I should take a look at the book again. I'm sure there's something else I would want to make.

      I think you make the vest. ;)

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!