Friday, April 10, 2009

My Little Red Book by Rachel Kauder Nalebuff

My Little Red Book is a wonderful collection of stories about women's first periods. The stories come from women from different walks of life, different age groups and different cultures. Because of this, each story was unique, yet equally fascinating.

This book is awesome. While I was reading this book I kept thinking "Where has this book been all my life? Why didn't someone think of this before?" If someone had told me years ago that I'd be reading a book on menstruation (Argh! I hate that word), I would have told them they were crazy. I not only read this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The collection reminds us that even though we are in many ways different from each other, there's a common bond with share with all women. That bond should be celebrated and talked about rather than hidden and silenced.

Gloria Steinem's "If Men Could Menstruate" was priceless...and so true. Also, I especially loved the section on "Euphemisms and Code Words" for periods. Some of them made me cringe a little ("Arts and Crafts week at panty camp", "Ordering l'omelette rouge") and lots of them made me laugh out loud. ("Having the painters in", "Cleanup in aisle one", "Closed for maintenance".)

It's amazing how many women mentioned Judy Blume's book Are You There God? It's Me Margaret in their stories. I wonder if anyone realized at the time of its original publication just how many women (or generations) would be affected by the book. I know it was really popular when I was a preteen/teen.

I'm not going to share my first story (it's mostly unremarkable), however, I will say that I've always hated my period. Ok, that's a pretty strong word, eh? Let's go for not-liked-very-much-at-all. Better? I didn't think it was something to celebrate...more like something to hide or be embarrassed about. However, now that Nalebuff has issued this "call for a change in attitude", I can celebrate the 120 or so periods I have left. [Yes, I've counted...using mid-fifties as a guideline for menopause). So...Yippee! Period. Bring it on. I'm ready for you now.

Highly recommended. I can't say that enough. This book would make an ideal gift for any woman in your life...daughter, mother, niece, aunt, grandmother, sister, cousin, friend. Pick up a copy for yourself, too. The royalties from this book will go to a worthwhile charity.

For more information about the book, visit the book's official website.

2 comments:

  1. I just mentioned "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" on my Friday Favorites blog as one of my favorite childhood books. I am interested in reading "My Little Red Book" I think that I would really enjoy it. Thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's something for every woman in "My Little Red Book". I hope more people read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!