Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year, New Project - Reading - #50BookPledge

I loved reading/skimming over all of the challenge posts in my Google Reader. I bookmarked a bunch in the last few weeks to seriously consider at the end of the year. I haven't participated in many reading challenges, but I figured I'd start with this year. There are so many good ones...so many I'd be interested in doing. Some I know I could do pretty easily; others would be fairly challenging. When I sat down to sort through the ones I picked out, it was all too much. It started to get intimidating. I can't do all of the ones I like. Where to start? Which ones do I join? They all looked so good.

That's when I stumbled across The Savvy Reader's #50BookPledge. I heard about this last year, but didn't participate. There aren't a lot of rules to follow, which I like...just read and talk about books. Since I already do that, to me, it sounds like a great place to start.

I haven't counted how many books I read last year (2011). I could go back and figure it out pretty quickly. But, I'm not going to do that. I'm going to join this challenge blindly and hope that I can get read 50 books by the end of 2012. If I don't, that's okay, too. At least I tried.

Have you heard about this challenge? How you joined? How many other reading challenges have you joined?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you can do it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you already know, I joined the 50 Book Challenge. I read (or listened to) 96 books in 2011 so it shouldn't be a problem. Mainly I did it just to see what other readers are reading.

    I also do John Mutford's Annual Canadian Book Challenge (http://bookmineset.blogspot.com/2011/07/5th-annual-canadian-book-challenge-lets.html) which started on July 1, 2011. The challenge is to read at least 13 books by Canadians. Lots of people have already read their 13 and more but I've only read 5. That's not all the Canadian books I have read but my own personal challenge for John's challenge is to read only Canadian authors who have died. I decide to do this because for last year's challenge no one read any Robertson Davies, a Canadian writer that I personally love. I thought maybe since he is no longer putting out books his writing isn't getting the exposure it once did so this is my little way to remedy it.

    I have also joined a Hardy reading group. We started last year reading one book by Thomas Hardy every two months, starting with his first published novel and continuing chronologically. I had read most of the well-known Hardy books (Tess of the D'Ubervilles, The Mayor of Casterbridge, Far from the Madding Crowd) and loved them so I thought this would be a good way to read the rest. We're on the fourth book now and I'm finding it very interesting to see how Hardy's writing developed.

    That's it for my challenges at this point. I look forward to the 50 book challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!