Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sew: Step by Step by Alison Smith

Sew: Step by Step offers advice on how to sew. It shows the basics and updates them for today's trends and fashion. It covers lots of different topics including: equipment and fabrics to sewing pockets, waistlines, facings, collars, sleeves and decorative techniques.

This is such an awesome book. It's geared toward the novice sewer, but those looking for a refresher or even a good reference book would benefit from reading this book. As with a lot of DK books, the book is wonderfully laid out with large, well-labelled and annotated photographs. The techniques are well explained in clear concise language. I loved that the book can be used for sewing new items as well as restyling old ones.

I learned how to sew in high school, many years ago, but don't really sew a whole lot now. I haven't made a garment in many years, but I do try to sew periodically to retain what I know and have made a few household items throughout the years. After looking at this book, though, I realize that there's so much I don't know about sewing. I love learning new things. I'm going to have so much fun going through the book and practicing new skills!

The book contained lots of different sections. I especially liked the one on equipment. It starts out with a list for a basic sewing kit, but also a list of items to "build up your sewing kit" when you get more experience and want to do more things. I also liked the one featuring the different types of fabric. I've heard of lots of them, but I didn't know what they looked like exactly. Now, I know.

The Table of Contents and index are both adequate for this type of book. The glossary lists terms and definitions used in basic sewing. It, too, is pretty good.

My only disappointment is that the book didn't have a section on small projects to complete. A clever and creative sewer could probably make up something to show off the new skills they just acquired (by reading this book and practicing), but not everyone can do that. Someone who are just beginning might not yet have the confidence to do so. A project section with simple easy to complete tasks could go a long way in instilling that confidence.

Highly recommended.

For more information about this book or to browse inside, please visit DK's website.

I'd like to thank those nice people at DK Canada for this review copy.

Sew: Step by Step by Alison Smith, Dorling Kindersley (DK) Publishing, ©2011. ISBN 9780756671648(Softcover), 224p.

Don't forget about DK's What Did You Make on March Break Contest. It runs until the end of March. For more information, click on the photo on the left.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!