Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Danger! by DK Publishing

Danger! presents page after page of information on things that are dangerous in this world and out of this world. These things exist in nature, our environment, space, science, our own bodies and much, much more.

This is a very cool book! It's similar to other books published by DK in that each 2-page spread tackles a different subject with using eye-catching designs, colourful and interesting graphics/illustrations, as well as informative text. Even though it's written for 10-17 year-olds, I learned a lot about the dangers surrounding me. Mind you, I think I'm pretty safe from some of them (I don't plan on taking up extreme sports or going into orbit anytime soon), but it's nice to know what's lurking around the corner.

The book is grouped into chapters featuring items from nature, such as sharks; the planet, the Bermuda Triangle for example; space, wouldn't be complete without an alien encounters; science, like radioactivity; the human body, featuring epidemics and pandemics; places, such as dangerous foods and extreme sports; and dangers of the past including weapons of war. Each one of them had some pretty exciting, yet dangerous, topics.

There are many very cool pages in the book. My favourites include:
• "How to Survive a Horror Movie" (page 158-159) is hilarious.
• "Horrible Handscape" (page 116-167) describes all of the bacteria and viruses that can be picked up on your hands. Yuck!
• Typhoid Mary (page 134-135) tells the "gruesome tale" of Mary Mallon in graphic novel form.

The material is presented in an entertaining way so that it's not too scary. However, it much be a little too much for younger readers or really sensitive ones. When grouped together like this, all of the dangerous things out there could get a little overwhelming.

The table of contents lists the chapters as well as the contents of each chapter. I love being able to see at a glance what topics are covered. The index is quite extensive and should help the reader find specific items in the book.

Highly recommended.

For more information about this book or to browse inside, please visit DK's website.

I'd like to thank those nice people at DK Canada for this review copy.

Danger by DK Publishing, Dorling Kindersley (DK), ©2010. ISBN 9780756667399(Hardcover), 192p.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!