Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Night of the Gun by David Carr

The Night of the Gun is an autobiography by former addict turned journalist, David Carr. He outlines the nitty-gritty details of his addiction and profession, but doesn't stop there. He attacks his story like a journalist would attack any story. He gives us what he knows then attempts to back up those memories by interviewing the people (friends, family, cops, etc.) who were there and gets the facts from them.

The premise is great and I really wanted to love this book. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. There wasn't anything wrong with the book (it's very well written), it just didn't grab me like I thought it would. I read about 100 pages and then put the book down. While I found it interesting, it just wasn't "calling me" to pick it up again. It could be that it was just too much of a contrast from my previous book. I love this premise so much, I haven't totally given up on it yet. One day, I hope to try again.

I truly admire his bravery for seeking out his past and putting it down on paper for all to see. I know I wouldn't be that brave and I don't have near as many skeletons in my closet as Carr does (or did). I'd rather leave my past in the past, but I admire his decision.

For now, it's going back to the bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!