Tuesday, June 25, 2013
Needlework Tuesday - Garden Craft project.
Sorry, I haven't been doing any needlework again this week. I guess it's been a couple of weeks since I reported any progress on my garden craft projects. I've been busy, busy, busy painting up a storm. Here's my first post on these projects.
While I was painting rocks for the Tic-Tac-Toe game, I figured I'd make a few more and create a "Garden Checkers" game. The only problem is that I miscounted and don't have enough made yet. When I pull out the primer and base coat paint again, I'll have to do another 8 or so. (I'm figuring a few might get lost, so I'm making a few extra.) The game board(s) hasn't been created yet. I hope to do that within the next two weeks. (idea from Pinterest.)
Rocks painted to represent bees.
Rocks painted to represent ladybugs.
The next thing I tackled were a few butterflies. I'm extremely pleased with how these turned out. My husband, who's getting quite good now with the skill saw has cut out 10 of these. It's taking me a lot longer to paint them than I originally thought. I had planned to make at least 30, but that might not happen, so for now I've told him to stop. It's hard to tell how big they are from this photo, but I think they are about 12" across. They don't have their antennae yet, but I don't know that I'm going to bother with that. I still have to spray them with a protective coating and find a place for them in the yard or garden. (I got this idea after seeing the memorial butterfly garden at Machray School in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. This link and photo doesn't do it justice.)
First two butterflies completed.
Lastly, I primed and painted two old small windows. I then used silicone to attach glass gems to the glass on one of them Since this has a bit of weight to it, it's going to be a little more tricky to find a spot to install it. We are still working on some ideas. I'm a little disappointed with this as the glass gems didn't react with the sunlight as I would have expected them to. While the light did go through them, it wasn't refracted nor did it cast any interesting shadows or light patterns onto the deck. Oh, well. Despite this, I like the way it turned out and will probably do a few more. (idea from Pinterest.)
The first of the windows completed.
For the next two weeks or so, I'll be making more rock insects, painting more butterflies and making at least one more window thingy. I'll have another update when I have something to report.
Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts.