Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Needlework Tuesday - A brief update

I guess it's been quite awhile since I posted something for Needlework Tuesday. Today, I figured I've give you guys an update on a few things I've been working on. It's not much, but at least it's something.

About a week and half ago, we took a quick trip across the US border to do some shopping and I scored some craft books that were under $3 a piece (regular price $15-$30). Most of them are scrapbooking-type books that I don't do a lot of, but they are filled with tons of inspiration for other projects.   There's also a book on altered books, one on handmade books, and one on paper quilling.  The knitting one on top is actually a box of pattern cards.  A few of the projects look interesting.  At that price, I figured I couldn't lose.    














I've also been keeping up with my temperature scarf. The colours represent: Red = +30C, Orange = 29C - 22C, Yellow 21C - 15C. We had a cooler patch in July (the block of yellow) and now it's starting to warm up again (red and orange at the top). I'm not entirely happy with the results so far, but the bands of colour do represent the temperatures we've had.   It is what it is.
 



















The last thing I've been doing is some Zentangle inspired drawings. I'm still learning new tangle patterns and mostly sticking to one pattern, one tile. These all have names, but I'm not going to list them here.   I'm still working out how I'm going to proceed with this "art" and what I'm going to do with it.  So far, I've been tackling tangles that I encounter on the internet.  I found a couple that were a bit too complicated (for me at least, I didn't find them zen-like at all) so I skipped those.  Here's a sampling of my work:


















While in the US, I purchased some official Zentangle pens and a couple of paper stumps for shading/smudging. I didn't really need the pens and wasn't looking for them, but I stumbled upon them in a craft store and decided to treat myself.





















Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts.

1 comment:

  1. Your Zens are amazing! I see a couple new-to-me patterns in there that I'm going to copy. I don't have any of the official pens or equipment - but Hubs bought me some charcoal pencils and a DVD on how to use them for shading, etc. I need to find time to watch it.

    Good finds at the bookstore. Looks like lots of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!