Thursday, September 11, 2014

Tangled Thursday - Starting Anew

Tangled Thursday is a new occasional post on this blog. Heather at Books and Quilts is hosting these challenges in which we share our latest Zentangle inspired creations.

In an effort to get back on track with these Zentangle challenges, I suggested that we all post something Zentangle related. Whether it be a new creation, a link to a Zentangle-related website or blog, or an old creation not shared before, it was all game.

Since I haven't drawn all summer, I really wanted to create something new, but first I had to find my Zentangle gear....pens, paper, patterns, etc. In case we got flooded, we had moved many items up from our basement, where my craft area is.  Because of that, I really had no idea where my stuff even was. As it turned out, it was easier to find than I thought. Since we couldn't realistically move everything out of the basement, I had just moved some stuff to a higher shelf in the cabinets hoping that would be enough. We did get a little water in the basement, but the damage was contained to the carpet and some drywall...no craft paper or supplies. What I didn't account for was the extra humidity we had in the basement. While the paper didn't suffer damage from direct contact with water, it did feel like it had a little more moisture in it. Next time, I'll be moving it!!! It was still fine for drawing.

Anyway, with my gear found and intact, I created two new tiles.  I figured I'd start with Paradox because that's the first pattern I learned way back when.  I tried something new (for me) with the shading, but it doesn't really show up too well in this photograph.
 
Tangles: Paradox
 
The second tile I did uses some patterns that I've done in the past. I wasn't up to learning something new just yet.
Tangles: Well, Tipple, Warped Eggs, Betweed, Hollibaugh, Purk
 
Sorry about the photograph.  The flash reflected off the shading and created a weird reflection in places.   I'm never sure how to end a pattern once it reaches the border.  Do I draw a line like I did on the left or do I just let the pattern trail off like I did on the right?  Not sure.  Likewise with the string.   Do I treat it was a hard edge or something more transparent? Maybe I'll pay more attention to those two things when I'm looking at tangles online.    

In addition, through my travels I have come across two Zentangle-related blogs. I'm sure most people already know about these, but I wanted to mention them anyway because both contain exquisite art work.  Tickled to Tangle by Adele Bruno and Enthusiastic Artist by Margaret Bremner inspire me every time I visit. If you haven't already, please visit both of these very talented artists.

Be sure to check out the other creations on Books and Quilts.   If you'd like to join us, please do so by linking your post to the Mr. Linky on Heather's post.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the "wide open" challenge this week. I hadn't touched my supplies al summer either so it was good incentive to draw - although I have to admit, what I did wasn't really Zentangle - but it was in the ball park.

    I'm so sorry that you had to deal with the flooding AGAIN! But glad to hear that you came through it with only minor damage. Hope the rest of your house and property was as fortunate. And your nerves!

    Paradox is one of my favorite patterns and you did an excellent job. It's one of those that always amazes me when I'm drawing it - it turns out so much cooler than I think it will while it's in progress.

    Thanks again for helping me get back in the drawing zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tami! I'm glad I wasn't the only one slacking in the drawing department. You can see that in my wavy lines in Paradox that I'm rusty. I guess frequent practice really does help. ;)

      By the way, I've sent you an email as well.

      Delete
  2. how to handle edges is a good question. When I took a class with a CZT, we were told not to draw our string with ink so that we can fudge the location of the line as needed. Also that the outside box was drawn in pencil for the same reason. So if you want a firm line, then go for it, it you want the flexibility of finishing a line/box/circle,then don't draw the line in ink. I employ which ever technique I want at that particular moment.

    I think some large ziploc baggies for paper storage would be a good solution. I store a lot of my quilting and knitting projects in those bags.

    Thanks for the fun challenge this week and for linking up with Tangled Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!