Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Needlework Tuesday - Two more completed projects!

Needlework Tuesday is an occasional post detailing my needlework and/or crafting projects.

Look at me completing projects!!! I have two to report on this week, both from the Mary Maxim's Knit Club of the Month.

The first is the Triangle Knit, which gave me so much trouble awhile back. I finally finished it, even though I ran into another small problem near the end. I won't go into the details, but it had me close to tears. However, I figured out a quick fix and it's done:


My husband didn't notice that the wrap wasn't straight before he took the photo. However, this way you can see the nice straight middle line. ;)

The other project I completed this week was the sock yarn hat/fingerless mitt combo. When I first started out with this project, I made the decision upfront to start each hat at the beginning of a new ball of yarn, hoping that the striping would be consistent.  All was going well, until I hit a factory-made knot/join in the ball of yarn on the second hat. When I first encountered it I was livid.  I knew immediately that the striping would be screwed up. I was so careful to plan it out only to be foiled by the manufacturing process. That combined with the problem with the wrap above was enough to wreck my mood for the entire week.

Anyway, it's done and in the long run no one is going to notice (probably), but me. Here's one of the hats finished, but not tucked into each other:


If you start in the middle and follow the pattern left and right simultaneously, you'll see where it diverges. Oh well, "best laid plans...".  Here are two "versions" of the reversible hat:


Ironically, I kind of prefer the one on the right.  It's technically the second that diverges from the consistent striping.  Go figure.

I also finished the other fingerless mitt. Here's a shot of the two of them together:


I probably could have made them identical by starting them at the same point in the yarn, but I wasn't sure I was going to have enough yarn to do that properly. (See what happened with the hat). My one complaint about the pattern is that it doesn't cover enough of my thumb:


If I'm energetic this coming week or month, I might pick up some stitches around the end of the thumb and do a few rows just to make it a little longer. (Another pattern I have for fingerless mitts does this.) However, there's no way to match the pattern, so it'll always look like an add on or afterthought.  I'm going to think about it some more before going through the trouble.

This week I was also working on my poncho. Here's what I have so far:



The colour is a off in this photo and I'm not loving it (more about this next week), but the pattern is really easy to decipher and follow.  I'll probably continue to work on it this week.

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts.    If you'd done any crafting this week that you'd like to share with others, please head over to Heather's blog and use the Mr. Linky to link up your post, so others can enjoy your creations. 

3 comments:

  1. If you want to add to your thumbs, you can just find a white stretch in the yarn, and work with that. You will only need a few rounds. I made up my own pattern for fingerless mitts. My thumbs are longer. You can see them, and the pattern, herehttp://artsandsocks.blogspot.ca/2014/09/lawn-bowling-mitts.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie,
    Love the hat and mittens, very pretty. The poncho is coming along nicely. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work this week Marie. the shawl is lovely. I like the lacy pattern, worth all your efforts.

    I also like the opps side of the hat. I ran into the same problem with the socks I am working on . A knot which threw off the colours in a major way. Oh heck, I didn't start the socks at the same place any way.

    Keep up the stitching, it's not spring yet.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!