Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Needlework Tuesday - Too many projects - On Wednesday

Needlework Tuesday is an occasional post detailing my needlework and/or crafting projects.

Last week, I wrote about working on 3 projects and starting a 4th. Well, I think I've now spread myself to thin because while I worked on all of the projects this week, I don't have much to show for it. I do have a few things to write about...

First up, the Hidden Gusset fingerless mitts. I have one almost complete. Just need to do the thumb. I'm not totally happy with it, though. It's not quite as snug as I'd like it, especially at the top around the fingers. I guess it'll be good if I'm working on something and need good dexterity. Since I've already started this one twice, I'm probably going to make the other one. Maybe they will grow on me. I'll post a photo once the thumb is done.

Last week, I mentioned a project that was in the planning stages. Well, I started it. I'm using the Sand Layers pattern, but I've renamed it "Sky Layers" because I'm using leftovers from my sky scarf. Since the pattern only uses two colours and I wanted to use 5, I sat down and planned it out. At least, I thought I did. Once I started knitting, though, I realized that my planning wasn't all that thorough. I've already made some changes on the fly and I still refining the colour changes. I hope to get it more ironed out before I continue. I really don't want to be ripping out another project. Here's what I have so far:

The colour is off in the photo.  It starts off with light grey then goes to charcoal and finally light blue.
The latest project from the Mary Maxim's Knit Club of the Month showed up in the mail yesterday. It's a leg warmer/mitten set. My first thought was "Leg warmers? I haven't worn a pair since the late 70s." My second thought was "Sure. Why not? I sort of like the yarn." My third thought "Hmmm...Am I really going to wear these? Mary Maxim sent me a project last year for boot cuffs, which are like short leg warmers. I made one. Didn't like the way it fit. Didn't make the other." I'm still having thoughts and am not sure what I'm going to do with this yet. Here it is:


Two things about the photo struck me as odd.

  1. It's winter and she's not wearing socks. My feet are never cold in winter and I walk around barefoot in the house all of the time, but I'd never put on boots without socks. 
  2. Why go through all of that work to hide the leg warmers under the boots? Is that the way they are supposed to be worn? Back in the 70s, I wore them instead of tall boots. That is, with runners to keep my legs warm or with short boots. Either way, it showed them off. 

Was that the style back then or was that just me?  Has that changed? Anyone know?

Lastly, Kate over at Art and Socks asked me to friend her on ravelry. Well, I was a little embarrassed that I'd been using ravelry for patterns, but hadn't actually put any of my projects on there. That has been remedied. In fact, I had a lot of fun going back over some old projects and putting them up on the website. I didn't realize how easy it was. I still have a bunch of previously finished projects that I'll be adding as time goes by. Going forward, I hope to do add the project as soon as I start it. So, if you are reading this and are also on ravelry, feel free to friend me. I'm ILoveSpring. LazyDaisy was already taken. I still have to figure out how to put a ravelry button on my blog.

That's it for this week. I'm going to continue working on my WIPs.

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts.    If you'd done any crafting this week that you'd like to share with others, please head over to Heather's blog and use the Mr. Linky to link up your post, so others can enjoy your creations.  

1 comment:

  1. I have huge calves and could never fit legger warmers under boots, but wearing them with shorter boots would be a great idea. Love the colour of yarn in that kit.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!