Sunday, July 29, 2007

Invisible Armies by Jon Evans

In Invisible Armies, Danielle and Keiran get involved with an anti-corporate protest group who are campaigning against a mining company. They travel the world setting up demonstrations and diversions to stop the company from poisoning innocent children in India.

Excellent fast paced thriller with a high-action finale that kept me glued to my seat. Once I picked up this page-turner I didn’t want to put it down. There were parts of the first section that were a little slow, but once they reached Paris, there was non-stop action. My plan was to read it alternatively with Harry Potter. However, that didn’t happen. Once I picked this one up, I knew Potter was going to have to wait. [This probably isn’t something the author is going to do cartwheels about, but it was Potter-mania at our house for weeks before HP7 was released. It was going to take an extraordinary book to make me put Potter down.]

My favourite character was Keiran. I liked him right away. Maybe it’s because of my computer analyst/programmer background that I found him so appealing. Sometimes I, too, would rather deal with my computer than people. It should come as no surprise that my favourite quote was on page 261 with Keiran speaking to Danielle: “I like the idea of people. It’s the individual instances I have problems with”.

I love the look and feel of the matt cover with the glossy lettering. Nice.

When I finished the book, the first word that came to my mind was “sequel”. I’d love to see one.

It scares me a little that situations like this are plausible. However, our lives are so intertwined with computers now, there’s no turning back. My life is out there on servers across the world for those who want to know more about me. [I should warn you; I’m pretty boring] That’s the world we live in. Sure, I could stop using my computer, but then I’d also have to convince my bank, credit card companies, financial advisors, doctor, pharmacy etc. to do so also. It ain’t going to happen.

Highly recommended for thriller fans and, of course, hackers.

I got this book from HarperCollins Reading Group on MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!