Wednesday, July 18, 2007

If Today Be Sweet by Thrity Umrigar

In If Today Be Sweet, Tehmina has come to America to visit her son, daughter-in-law and grandson. Her husband has died and she has to figure out where she wants to live now; by herself in Bombay or in America with the rest of her family. Tehmina’s decision will not be easy.

I loved every word of this book. From the prologue with Rustom talking about his wife to the ending with Tehmina decision, I was hooked. I just adored Tehmina. Her husband was not wrong about her.

Umrigar’s writing, characters and descriptions of Bombay made me want to read even more from this author. I especially liked the way she contrasted life in Bombay to that in America because America didn’t always come out on top. Where as Umrigar’s “The Space Between Us” was so sad, this one wasn’t so. For me, it was filled with hope, even though there was much to be sad/angry about.

My favorite quote:
Rustom to Sorab: Never begrudge another man his success, sonny. Remember, all of us live out our own destinies. All our lives run on a parallel path—someone else’s success neither pulls us down, nor does his failure boost us up. (page 46)

This book is now one of my favorites. I will not soon forget these characters. Highly recommended.

I got this book from HarperCollinsCanada – The Reading Group on MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!