Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Darling of the Morning by Thrity Umrigar

First Darling of the Morning: Selected Memories of an Indian Childhood is the memoir of author, Thrity Umrigar. She includes stories from her early life that not only shaped her later in life but also shaped the books she would come to write. It was fascinating to read about her friendships, her family relationships, especially her tumultuous relationship with her mother, and her agonizing decision to leave India and move to America.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Thrity's writing is beautiful, fluid and easy to read. While I didn't enjoy it as much as I did her books (The Space Between Us and If Today Be Sweet), it was still a worthwhile read and I'm glad I got a chance to read it. It was neat to see that some of the events in her life vaguely resemble some of those in the lives of her characters. Now I know where a few of her ideas came from.

One of my favourite "characters" was Mehroo, Thrity's aunt. Thrity would have turned out to be a very different person had she not had Mehroo in her life. I think Mehroo benefitted too from the relationship.

If you've read Thrity's other works, this is a must read. It's a great companion to her novels.

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!