Monday, August 24, 2009

The Doomsday Key by James Rollins

In The Doomsday Key, three murdered bodies are found on three different continents. The connection? A pagan cross burned into their flesh. Sigma Force comes in to solve this cryptic mystery that could end up destroying not only those involved but everyone on the planet.

This is another great book from Rolllins. I love how his novels are current with what's happening in the world. He takes relevant and important topics then weaves them into a fast-paced, action-packed, entertaining and possible, but not probable scenario. Without using monsters, ghosts, zombies, vampires or other such fantasies, Rollins scares his readers. He does it with the truth. Well, ok, some truth mixed with his vivid and active imagination.

There's so many things to love about this book; the story line, the characters. Topics like the food supply and dying bees take centre stage along with a host of other interesting historical tidbits. Characters like Painter, Gray, Rachel, Monk and Kowalski, who always makes me laugh, are fun to follow and read about. It amazes me that they can get into so much trouble and yet survive. I also love the historical and scientific notes at the beginning of the book as well as the "Author's note: Truth or Fiction" section at the back. Both put the story into real life context for the reader.

I found the information about Máel Máedóc (Saint Malachy) fascinating. He was a twelfth century Irish Catholic priest, who apparently had a vision in which he was given information regarding all of the popes until the end of the world. I love how this information was incorporated into the story.

I appreciate the map that's included at the beginning of the book. For me it's so much easier to have that as a reference rather than having to look it up on the internet or in an atlas.

There's a quote that I really love because it really underlines the basis of the whole book. Paraphrasing Kissinger on page 158: Control oil and you control nations, but control food and you control all the people of the world.

I've read one other book by Rollins, The Last Oracle. As you can tell by my review, I enjoyed it immensely. I'll definitely be seeking out more of his books.

Highly recommended.

For more information about this book, please visit the HarperCollins Canada website.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Daisy! One of the things that I love about Rollins is that he is so relevant. I find myself reading him and nodding along with his fascinating points. I always learn something new from his books. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!