Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Needlework Tuesday - Rain Chains

It's time for another instalment of Needlework Tuesday. Ok, so this isn't exactly needlework, but it is sort of crafty. I figure that's close enough since I haven't posted in a long, long time.

I'm working on making a rain chain. Can you believe that I'm actually doing a craft that involves water? Today my motto is "If you can beat 'em, join 'em". Anyway, I first noticed rain chain at a local bird supply store (food, houses, feeders). The one they had was made of copper and quite beautiful, but also quite pricey. I decided to look online to see if they could be made more cheaply at home. Sure enough I found a couple of different models to make. (If you are interested in seeing some really beautiful ones, google "rain chains" and a bunch of images will come up.)

I choose the simplest one using binder rings. I already had a bunch of rings but I knew I needed more. We checked out both Staples and Office Depot and found that the prices were a tad high (Staples 12 rings for $6). My husband then had the idea to check out Wal-Mart (8 rings for $1.89; two different sizes) and a dollar store (8 rings for $1). We picked up a bunch at the last two stores.

The chain is basically done. Since it's pretty simple and I have some additional rings, I thought I might jazz it up a bit and randomly add a few more rings without making it longer. I was also thinking of adding some beads and trinkets, but I don't want to make it too heavy, so I'm going to forgo those for now.

Here's the chain so far:




















Basically, I just need to remove the downspout and replace it with the chain (attached with a bracket). That part is simple. The hard part is deciding how to finished the bottom part where the chain meets the ground. I certainly don't want the water trickling back towards the house. I'm toying with the idea of making a smallish rock garden sloped away from the house. Perhaps I'll add a copper bowl or vessel to catch the water, which will then spill over into the rock garden.

When I get the rock garden done and the chain installed, I'll post another picture. With days of rain in the forecast, it might be awhile. :(

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather on her blog, Books and Quilts. There's an open invitation for other needle workers/crafters to join at any time.  Go see her work.  It's beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of these before. I am curious to see how it turns out. I will have to google and check for some images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I've never heard of these before, but now I must have them. We have two downspouts on our house that are in very inopportune spots. A rain chain would be so much more attractive. Thanks for the idea.

    Once again, I have no post for Needlework Tuesday because I haven't touched a needle in weeks. Darn job! I'll get back into a routine and back to stitching soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!