Saturday, November 19, 2011

Saturday Snapshot - Blue

Last year we bought lots of LED Christmas lights on sale after the holidays. Yippee for sales! A few weeks ago, we decided it was time to put them up. Even though it felt a little early, we decided to take advantage of the beautiful end-of-October weather. Who wants to put up lights in the cold and snow? Anyway, here's a close up of the little guys:















We love them! We've been getting lots of comments from the neighbours on how nice they look. I'm glad they think so because they are the ones that have to look at them. If I can figure out how to properly photograph the lights in the dark, I'll post a photo of the whole house.

Remember last week when I said that winter was on its way? As it turns out I was right! [If you think about it how could I be wrong? I live in the Great White North, aka The Canadian Prairies, and it's November. Winter was bound to come any day...but that's besides the point. We'll just leave it at I was right!] This is what happened in the last two days:
















And this...













Don't you just love how snow looks blue in the shadows? I'm mentioning this now because in a month or two, I'll be sick to death of winter and I won't have anything nice to say about it. ;)  

For those of you who followed the flood photos, see that wooden stick in the foreground? The one with the little orange thingy on the top? That's where the river was from May-ish to August-ish. See everything behind it? That's part of our yard (some of the neighbour's, too).   The river is now back within its banks and is about 600 metres straight back. 

These snowflakes (along with 3 trillion or so of their closet friends) will be with us until March or into April.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Alyce of At Home With Books. To participate – post a picture that you've taken (or one taken by a friend, or a family member) then add your link on Alyce’s site using Mr. Linky.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I bet those lights are going to look so pretty all lit up for the holidays! We've never put lights on our house (in part because it's two stories and neither one of us wants to risk life or limb for Christmas lights). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those lights are very pretty (love blue anyways). and that snow, I actually love it, but am glad u got it instead of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like winter for sure. Hello, fellow Canadian.
    We got a taste of snow this week, but it melted soon after. Ours will be coming, but I hope not just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those lights look really nice - I can see why you couldn't wait! It's a little early for Christmas but these are just your dark-evening lights, right? ;-)

    Snow for months on end? I don't know if I could handle it. Although if it was (almost) a certainty it would maybe be easier to deal with than our, cold, rain, snow, slush, cold, sleet, rain, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I'm still working on a photo of the whole house with the lights on. A few more experiments and I should have something.

    Judith, As much as I don't like the cold and snow, it's better than a thaw and freezing cycle, which could leave the roads/highways dangerously icy. Oh, and here, snow/cold for months on end is a definitely certainty. Brrr...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!