Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

In The Silkworm, Cormoran Strike, a private detective, is hired by the wife of novelist Owen Quine. Quine has gone missing and at first his wife thinks his just gone away for some alone time. However, it's quickly discovered that it's much more serious than that, especially after Quine has been found brutally murdered. As for suspects, there are plenty. His newest manuscript portrays almost everyone he knows in a very bad light. If it's published, many lives would be ruined. Strike and his young assistant, Robin Ellacott, have their work cut out for them in dealing with this most callous killer.

I loved this book! The story grabbed me right away and I couldn't wait to see what happened to Quine. The storyline about publishing was revealing and exciting to read about.

Both Cormoran Strike and Robin Ellacott are terrific characters and complement each other perfectly. I loved that we got to read more about them and the others in their lives. In Strike's case, we learn about his brother or rather half-brother. They share the same famous father. With Robin, we got to read more about her relationship with her husband-to-be. I really like Strike, but it's Robin who's the highlight for me in this series. She's just awesome.

The book does start out with a bit of cussing, but it doesn't last long. It just lasts a few pages and isn't really that bad or disgusting. Hopefully, it won't turn off too many people.

I liked the first book in the series better than this one. While I loved this book as a whole, I didn't love (or even like) the story or excerpts of the manuscript that Quine wrote before his disappearance. It wasn't my type of book and frankly reading those sections made me uncomfortable. It was just too weird. I'm definitely not into shock art and/or satire. I think parts of this could have been cut without jeopardizing the storyline. It may have even made it a better book and condensed the story a little.

I found one passage in the book that particularly liked. For me, it perfectly describes the murder of Owen Quine:
This murder was elaborate, strange, sadistic and grotesque, literary in inspiration and ruthless in execution. (page 147)

This book is the second in the series, but it can really stand on its own. I think I think there are some references to the first book, but there are no spoilers. So far, the books can be read in any order.

Besides the Harry Potter series, I've read two other books by this author: The Cuckoos Calling also featuring Cormoran Strike and a standalone book, The Casual Vacancy. I still count this book as one of my all-time favourites.

Robert Galbraith is the pseudonym of J.K. Rowling.

Highly recommended.

For more information about this book, please visit Hachette's website.

For more information about Robert Galbraith and the other book in the series, please visit Robert-Galbraith.com. For more information about J. K. Rowling, please visit J. K. Rowling's website.

I'd like to thank those nice people at Hachette Book Group Canada for this review copy.

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith, Mulholland Books (Little, Brown and Company (Hachette Book Group)), ©2014. ISBN 9780316206877(Hardcover), 455p.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the first one and need to make time to read this one. I loved the characters the first time so I like the idea that we get to know more about them. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Quine's writing didn't appeal to me, and I found the murder too bizarre, but I really liked getting more about Cormoran Strike and Robin. I'm delighted that Rowling has been able to switch genres so successfully.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!