Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Into the Wild - The Movie

I saw the movie “Into the Wild” on the weekend. While I didn’t love it as much as I loved the book, it was pretty good. The story was basically the same, but I think the movie presented a more uplifting message than the book. To me, in the book the story was presented in a matter of fact way (more like a newspaper account); it felt more like a tragedy (maybe that was just how I “read” it.) But after seeing the movie, I can definitely appreciate the inspirational message. The other difference I noticed was the way the story unfolded. The book was more chronological, which I found easier to follow.

The movie itself was beautiful. The scenery was spectacular in every shot. It was pure joy to watch.

I really liked seeing Hal Holbrook (Ron Franz) again. I can’t remember when I saw him last. I saw his name in the credits; otherwise I may not have recognized him. My eyes welled with tears when Ron was saying goodbye to Chris. Great performance. [By the way, in the book the author lets you know what happens to Ron. ;) ]

My husband and I had an interesting discussion afterwards. Mostly we talked about how the book was different (I read it, he didn’t), but we also talked about Chris’ adventures and why he did what he did.

I’m glad I got to see it especially after reading the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!