Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Best of 2009

It's fun reading all of the "best of" lists each year, so once again I've decided to create my own. Just to be a little different, I've created some categories. Hopefully, next year I'll be a little more creative with these. Note that these are books I read this year and not necessarily published this year.

In no particular order, here's Daisy's Best of 2009.

Books that I will remember for a long time:
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
The Housekeeper and the Professor: A Novel by Yoko Ogawa
Ravens by George Dawes Green
Six Suspects by Vikas Swarup
Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup
Library of the Dead by Glenn Cooper
We Need to Talk About Kevin: A Novel by Lionel Shriver

Excellent books that I thoroughly enjoyed reading, but were not quite as memorable as those above:
Any Known Blood by Lawrence Hill
The Castaways: A Novel by Elin Hilderbrand
Home by Marilynne Robinson
The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly
The Girl Next Door by Elizabeth Noble
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
An Accidental Light by Elizabeth Diamond
Addition by Toni Jordan
The House at Midnight by Lucie Whitehouse
Into the Beautiful North: A Novel by Luis Alberto Urrea
La's Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall Smith

The one book that scared me so much that I'd rather not remember all of the details:
Afraid by Jack Kilborn

Books that changed the way I look at my life and the world:
How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum by Keri Smith
Going Gray: How to Embrace Your Authentic Self with Grace and Style by Anne Kreamer
My Little Red Book by Rachel Kauder Nalebuff
The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food by Jennifer 8 Lee

Well, that's it. I'd definitely recommend all of these. Do you have a "best of" list or a book to recommend?

2 comments:

  1. Through the generosity of BookCrossing I discovered the Matthew Shardlake mystery series by C. J. Sansome which is set in Tudor England. I would highly recommend:
    Dissolution
    Dark Fire
    Sovereign

    and I'm hoping to read Revelation soon.

    I would also recommend two non-fiction books that I read this year:
    Grass, Sky, Song by Trevor Herriot
    The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations Wendy! I do love a good mystery. I'll have to keep an eye out for those.

    As for the non-fiction, I've heard really good things about Herriot's book. Another one to add to my wish list. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!