Thursday, December 11, 2008

Attachment by Isabel Fonseca

I generally finish every book I start. There are, of course, exceptions and unfortunately Attachment is one of them.

In the book, Jean opens an "erotically charged" email intended for her husband, Mark. Apparently, it's from his lover, Giovana. Instead of confronting him, she poses as her husband and corresponds with Giovana via email. I thought that sounded like a great premise and showed some promise, but the story didn't resonate with me. I've read about a 1/3 of it and I struggled with every page. I just didn't really care about the characters; nor did I find the story engaging. That's not to say it isn't well written, it is. It's just not for me.

One of the things that sort of bugged me in the book were the few graphic bits about sex. At the risk of sounding like a prude, I found them gratuitous and jarring against the other parts of the book. As much as I didn't care for those parts (they really were few and in between), they would not have stopped me from reading the book had I been enjoying it in the first place.

While this book wasn't my favourite, shall we say, I really don't think it deserves the harsh criticisms that I found on Amazon. In my opinion, no author deserves such treatment.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone I know, but I'm sure there are lots of people who would enjoy it. You could do a whole lot worse. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

3 comments:

  1. yeah, i felt the same way about the sex bits... total turn off, and shocked to say the least. I finished it LOL. Her style of writing is good, although it would have been better put together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I kept thinking it was only me.

    Good for you for finishing it. I wish I'd had the patience and time. I don't like leaving books unfinished. Maybe I'll give it a another go after the holidays...then again, maybe not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, sometimes it's just not worth finishing a book just to finish it. I feel the same way, I hate leaving a book unfinished, but sometime it just can't be helped. For example, "Anathem" was one of those books for me. I just didn't like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!