Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Murder on Ice by Alina Adams

In Murder On Ice, Rebecca "Bex" Levy is a figure-skating researcher. It's her job to put together all of the facts, tidbits, history and whatnot for the announcers when figure skating is televised. Bex has her hands full with the two announcers, Francis and Diana Howarth, bickering and trying to get one up on each other. Her producer Gil isn't about to give her a break either. When American's darling doesn't win and comes in second to the Russian, things start to get ugly. But that's nothing compared to what happens when the Italian judge is found dead. The producer, Gil, challenges Bex to find the killer in time for the gala broadcast and that gives her just four days to get to the bottom of things.

I loved this book. The story is non-stop fun. I really didn't want to put it down. I used to watch figure skating and only ever saw it from an spectator's point of view; never from off the ice. It was interesting to get a look from behind the scenes of the practice, the performance and the broadcast.

The main thing that I loved about the book was the sense of humour. Both the author and the main character, Bex, were sarcastic and hilarious. I laughed-out-loud many times while reading the book. Sometimes the characters are a little over the top, but not totally unbelievable. I'm sure at least some of what the author describes has actually happened.

Adams used to be figure-skating researcher and feature producer for some major networks. It's no wonder she a lot about the figure skating world. This knowledge really added credence to the story.

Highly recommended. Especially for the figure-skating lovers and cozy mystery readers. I hope to read many more books by Adams.

Want to read another review? Check out the one on Books and Quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!