Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend Cooking - CSN Product Review

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. For more information, see the Welcome post on Beth Fish Reads.

I don't have a recipe this time. Instead I'm going to review a kitchen product which I purchased from the CSN Stores website. The last time I wrote about CSN Stores, I mentioned that I needed furniture or accessories for our newly finished basement. Well, I had a wonderful new bookcase picked out and was going to wait until after the holidays to order it. However, when I received an email from CSN (one of their newsletters), featuring some specials, something else caught my eye and I knew the bookcase was going to have to wait. The item I picked out is whimsical, fun and functional. I love it! Here it is:






















Isn't it great? It looks fabulous in my kitchen, too. It's perfect for a mystery/thriller/true crime lover with a sense of humour and a love of food and cooking. That's me!

The whole thing is sturdy enough to hold the knives securely, but not too heavy to move if necessary. The protective holders (which are firmly attached to the holder) keep the sharp blades covered. The quality is really good for the sale price. Had I paid the full price, though, I would have expected to see something a bit more substantial and a bit more finely milled. As it is, I'm very happy.

As for the knives, they look great. As with all stainless steel, fingerprints are a nuisance. At least they wipe off fairly easily. The slots are nice because they are magnetic. The knives can slide in and out easily, but the magnet holds them in place while in the holder. I'm a bit of a knife snob and was afraid that at this price the knives would look good, but would not be that functional. While the weight is a little light for me, the balance is great. On initial tests, they have performed excellently. The knives will definitely be put to good use.

I can see this becoming a great conversation piece. Right now, I have it placed so it's almost the first thing you see when you come in the kitchen door. Sure, some people are going to think it's a little macabre, but it will definitely get noticed.

For me information about this knife set, please visit the CSN Stores website.

Disclaimer: I received a coupon/gift certificate from those nice people at CSN Stores that partly covered the cost of this item. I tried to present an honest review despite that fact.

For other food-related posts this week, click here.

9 comments:

  1. That sure is a unique knife holder! I think it will be a great conversation piece. It makes me think of the game Clue...Miss Scarlet in the kitchen with a knife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that is something else! We have a close friend who is a horror writer and the next time I need to get him a gift, this is exactly what I'm giving him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this!!!!!! So fun! Wow! And good know that the knives are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great conversation piece when friends stop by! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hilarious! I bet my son would love it in his apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just too funny. Good pick! You're right - perfect accessory for the mystery lover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL that is such a fun kitchen appliance to have! I bet I know who stuck the knives in that poor guy ;) Glad to hear the knives are good too -- like you I was afraid looks would have gone over quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by everyone! It's now one of my favourite kitchen items.

    I forgot to mention that it comes in different colours if red isn't your thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is the most amazing knife block.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!