Monday, May 9, 2011

Flood Watch - 2011 - The bad news continues

For the first time yesterday, we were told that the river will surpass 1976 levels. Just how much remains to be seen. I also heard someone say that this was our "flood of the century". That's not very comforting.

We received even more bad news last night. The whole neighbourhood (with lots of generous volunteers) busted our butts for two days getting ready for another rise in river levels. Then we heard that they are calling in the military because it’s might get even worse. We still don’t know how bad, but it’s the worst possible news to date.

While we are waiting for news, I figured I'd post the pictures of the sandbagged house. If things are going to get a whole lot worse, these small dikes will rise.








.I didn't sleep at all well last night, so this morning I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

One more thing: The area is pretty much a disaster zone. If you don't live in the area or don't need to be here, please don't come down just to take a look. You'll see all you need to see on the news or in the newspapers. Of course, after all of this is over, we'll welcome you with open arms.

If you'd like to volunteer to sandbag or help out, please listen to the news for details.

Disclaimer: If you came here for information about the Manitoba Flood 2011, you've probably come to the wrong place. This post (or series of posts) will focus only on my backyard and house. If you are looking for general information regarding the flood, try the Government of Manitoba website, which can be found here or here for more area specific information regarding the Cartier, St. Francois Xavier and Headingley areas.

4 comments:

  1. Marie, I sent you an email but I'd still like to say here how sorry I am that this is going on. Nature can be quite cruel. I'm praying that the river will recede. I'm thinking of you my friend. Wish I was closer so I could come help sandbag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a picture of your house before and I have to say that it is absolutely lovely. I can see why you think it's worth saving. I keep thinking of you when I read the newspaper accounts. I hope that all your preparations will be unnecessary but if they are necessary then I hope they will be sufficient. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope that you're still sitting high and dry. I have my fingers crossed for you. I'd be helping with the sandbagging other that the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope things have improved for you and your town.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!