Thursday, May 5, 2011

Flood Watch - 2011 - Would you like one crest with that or two?

It looks like the river has crested or is very near the crest. There's still a lot of water out west that has to come our way yet, so it's definitely not over. We might see another crest in a couple of weeks. Depends on who you talk to, this water could be around for 3-6 weeks. Yikes!

Our house is completely surrounded by water now. We still are not sandbagged and hope that it stays that way. The water is about 30 feet from the house in the backyard. Two days ago we could still walk to both neighbours' properties without boots. Yesterday, it was down to one. Today we are surrounded. It's not an ideal situation, but we are making due. A nice couple a few doors down has offered us their spare canoe. (They are already paddling down their driveway). We haven't taken them up on it yet, but we are thinking we will.

The TV stations were out late yesterday and all day today. We didn't personally talk to them, but a few of our neighbours did. I love seeing people I know on TV. It's too bad it has to be because of this stupid river. On CBC, a tiny clip of our house and car were on the news (CBC was talking to our neighbours). On CTV, both of us were shown (with others) sand bagging a failing dike. On Global, our house once again was shown (the news people were in the neighbour's yard on the other side). We PVRed all of them ;)

Here's a photo of me in my new hip-waders. I look dumpy, grumpy, old, worn out and tired, but that's pretty much what I look like. I'm standing on the driveway (front yard) half way to the road. The river should be in my backyard about 600 metres behind the house. Now that we can't get out of the yard without boots, I'm sure I'm going to be wearing them a lot more.


That's it for now. Life is an adventure.

Disclaimer: If you came here for information about the Manitoba Flood 2011, you've probably come to the wrong place. This post (or series of posts) will focus only on my backyard and house. If you are looking for general information regarding the flood, try the Government of Manitoba website, which can be found here or here for more area specific information regarding the Cartier, St. Francois Xavier and Headingley areas.

4 comments:

  1. Oh me oh my. I want the sun to shine for you, but that might make even more snow melt and drain your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, I don't even have words. Water like that is scary and can be so damaging. I'm hoping that this is going to ease off soon for you all. I'll have to pay closer attention when it's on the news again and pick out your house. Still praying for you out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - just wow! After that I can't think of anything to say. Glad to hear you're staying dry indoors so far. Prayers going up for a little less water, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!