Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Flood Watch - 2011 - High Water Levels

I haven't posted in awhile, but we are still here....with the water surrounding our house and neighbourhood. The water level has been pretty much constant for a few weeks, only fluctuating a little here and there. It probably will only go down from here, but at a very slow rate.

We've actually been really lucky. We've had relatively few problems compared to others in the province and others in our own neighbourhood. Sure, our septic tank stopped working and had to be replaced and then our power went kaput, but all things considered we made out ok. Our sandbags are still well away from the water, which will make cleanup easier.

Having said all of that, it's still been very stressful. I'm very tired of it all and would like it if someone could just take all of this water away now.  Or better yet, take me away from here.  I'm thinking knight in shining armour on a white horse, but I'm not that picky.  Unfortunately, the water isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We just learned (from Twitter @rmcartier) that the high water level could be around for about 4 more weeks. All I can do is shake my head.

Before all of this started, we had contractors lined up to start some work on our house at the end of May/beginning of June. All of that has been postponed indefinitely. I had lots of plans for yard work/beautification to be completed this summer; again all of those plans have pretty much gone out the window. There are still a few things we can do, but lots of other stuff will have to wait until next year or cancelled all together. The major project this summer will be cleaning up sandbags and debris left behind from the receding river; all of that could take months. Our summer is too short as it is.

We do have one thing to look forward to....mosquitoes. They should be hatching in droves very shortly. With all of this standing water, I'm sure it's going to be mostly unbearable.

One more thing, anyone have a good recipe for carp? Along with the mallards, muskrat, beavers and assorted other creatures, we have a lot of them swimming around in our ditches and yards. That's another thing that'll have to be cleaned up when the time comes.

Here's a look at the backyard now that the leaves are starting to come out.  Isn't that river a lovely colour?  Yuck!  It doesn't smell that great either:















That is it for now.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! There just doesn't seem to be an end to it! How long has this been going on now? Didn't you say they would flood one area in order to keep your area safe?

    Actually, maybe not. I read about that in the paper, but that was Mississippi, which I'm certain is no where near Manitoba.

    I can imagine it's awfully stressful and the assorted wildlife won't make it any nicer. I'm glad you aren't really suffering too badly (relatively speaking).

    Just remember there will be an end to it, sometime, someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some dates: Mid-February: we first heard about a flood. Beginning-March: I first wrote about it on the blog. Mid-April: The river comes into our backyard and is still there. It seems like ages ago.

    You are right about the controlled breach in our area. They did that already and it was successful. Had they not, the water would have risen by at least a couple of feet rather than stay at a constant level. They did something similar in Mississippi.

    Thanks Judith. Your words bring me comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As if I haven't said "wow" a dozen times in response to your flood pictures, I just gotta say one more "WOW"! I can't imagine what you're going through, but I do know from my own experience of hard times that I have thought would never pass - they eventually do. In the mean time, keep your chin up - above water level - and keep writing. We're all supporting you from a distance - hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Tami! That does help a lot. We know that there's an end to this, we just wish it was sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!