Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flood Watch - 2011 - My Backyard - Still Here

Yesterday there was some good news and some bad news, but I'm not going to repeat any of it because it's confusing and seems to change by the minute. I can tell you that the military was sent to more at risk areas, so we can't rely on their help. I had mixed feelings about that. So far, though, we are still dry (relatively speaking)...that's the most important thing. The water level hasn't changed in days. We raised the dikes on many houses in the neighbourhood yesterday, including ours. There are more to be done today. It's long hard work and couldn't have been done without some fantastic volunteers. Thanks guys!

Lots of additional water will be coming our way shortly, hence the rise in dikes. How much is going to depend on some decisions made at the provincial government level and luck.

Once again anxiety is high, patience is thin and nerves are frayed. I hope it's not going to have lasting negative effects on our neighbourhood and the friends that we have made. For me, that would be almost as bad as a flooded basement.

I can't tell you how happy I'm going to be when I can start posting book reviews once again.  

Wish us luck.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Sounds like you have some awesome friends helping. Hope everything gets better soon. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're with you in spirit in this. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to cry for you. I sincerely wish I could be there to help in person. I've never been through anything like this and I'm totally out of words. God bless - we'll keep praying.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!